Thursday, May 11, 2006

Team Bike Challenge


Down in the land of overcrowdedness and insane commuters (a.k.a. the Bay Area), there is currently a huge emphasis to try to get people to ride their bikes. May 18 is Bike To Work Day, but there is also a competition called the Team Bike Challenge which encourages working stiffs to turn Bike to Work Day into Bike to Work MAY.

And to up the ante for getting people to ride their bikes to work, the Team Bike Challenge offers up a bunch of sweet prizes including Timbuk2 bags filled with cycling schwag from the sponsors - for every person that participates! And the team that rides the most during May will score the grand prize of a bike rack to be placed in a public space of choice in their county. I wonder if I can convince people to let me take the rack to Butte County and install it there...

I happen to be the almighty Team Captain for Team Yahoo (I was the first one to sign up on my team, which is how I became El Capitan). Our current outlook in the standings is fantastic. We're leading Santa Clara county by a large margin, and we're continually in the top 5 teams in the entire Bay Area. The stiffest competition is coming from Marin County - and no surprise there!

One of the coolest perks about working at a big company in Silicon Valley is that there are all kinds of funny perks for doing what I would do anyway. I can't complain about that!

2 comments:

Dr. Xeno said...

I thought it was 'Bike to Work WEEK' nd started today (and last friday too!)

Dr. Xeno said...

You ask a lot of Q's...

A Vellum Edge.