Wednesday, March 29, 2006

CT scan results, new meds

I got my CT scan results today:

Positives:
No anatomical problems other than a very slightly deviated septum. It's not enough to even worry about, but it might be a contributor to my improper sinus drainage. No polyps, no bone problems, no surgery. Hot damn!

Negatives:
I'm about to start taking a mother of a medicine regimen that will have me out of commission for most of April.


Above is the chemical structure for Avelox, a nasty a synthetic broad spectrum antibacterial agent. It's the 3rd antibiotic I'll have taken this year, and I have to take it for three weeks. On top of the Avelox I have to take Prednisone to reduce the burly swelling of my sinus tissue. Possible side effects of these two: a greatly reduced immune system, insomnia, mood swings, dizziness, seizures, water retention. They say one might gain weight because Prednisone makes you so hungry. I could stand to gain a few pounds - I weighed in at 136 two days ago.

Also with the Prednisone, there's a big warning that says, "This medicine makes you susceptible to illnesses. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people who have colds or other infections."

Now how the f*ck am I supposed to go to work during this time period? The office is where I picked up this virus in the first place, and the office continues to be an international petrie dish and a constant cacophony of coughing fits, sneezes, nose blows, and throat clearing.

Anyway, that's the story. When I get a chance I'll put the images from my CT scan over on Flickr.

2006 has been a real bitch, and I'm looking forward to getting through this round of meds. I guess things do come in threes. Three months off the bike. Three sinus infections. Three types of antibiotic. Three weeks of pills. Maybe all these threes are telling me it's time to start triathlon training again when I'm well.

1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

Well, Here's a happy thought for you: Y'know death comes in three's also.