Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Lack of professional Indian cyclists

I have often wondered why the sport of cycling is dominated by Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and North America.

I have also wondered why, in a country with over one BILLION people, why India can't produce just one measly pro cyclist. Just one!

Well my loyal readers, I have found the videographic proof of why there are no professional cyclists from India! They have likely all been hit and/or maimed by motorized vehicles!

Please do the needful, and enjoy the video.



Update:
I work with a lot of Indian folks at Yahoo, and I asked one of my friends there if this is how it is everywhere in India. He said the following things over IM about driving in India:
"there are lots of unmanned intersections where you need to have special skillsets to cross :-)"

...driving in india is way more crazy particularly after driving here. if i go back - i would be driven nuts. everybody is in a hurry, simple rules like stopping at unmanned intersection and first come, first cross basis are not followed there.

everyoine is in a hurry and want to cross over first  - so it becomes a mess."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I reached two conclusions from watching that video:
1. Indian cyclists are fearless;
2. They are survivors, at least the ones who made it through that intersection.

Jeff O. said...

I've only seen that type of crazed traffic when I was driving through Picadilly Circus in London. And that's something I never want to try again.

Unknown said...

At least everyone isn't driving SUVs or Hummers!

Isn't San Jose like that during rush hour(s)?

Chico Cyclist said...

That is CRAZY!!!

Gino Zahnd said...

They're not driving SUVs and Hummer because they can't afford them...

Unknown said...

What about that emerging Indian middle class supported by American outsourcing of jobs?

http://www.ideasbazaar.com/blog/archives/2004/02/09/the_great_indi.php

Gino Zahnd said...

God bless Capitalism and free market economics.

In fact, I work with a team in Yahoo! Bangalore. :-)

And there's not a single person in Silicon Valley bitching about the work those guys across the pond do. The work that gets shipped over sucks, and the Indian dudes do it without reserve or complaint.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the folks over there are well educated and very motivated. They deserve their new found lifestyle.

God knows I don't wanna do any coding!